Lower Saucon Township Historical Society
PO Box 176, Hellertown, PA 18055
610-625-8771
Email us at LSHistorical@yahoo.com

Located outside of Hellertown, PA
at 4216 Countryside Lane
in the Township of Lower Saucon


Meeting information and directions


Welcome to the LSTHS History Page

Lower Saucon Township was chartered in 1743, when it was still a part of Bucks County.  It was established in the rich farmland along the Saucon Creek  The name is of Native American origin, from sakunk meaning “at the mouth of the creek.”  The township also included South Bethlehem until 1865 and Hellertown until 1872.  German immigrants convinced by Penn’s favorable description of the New World, settled Lower Saucon Township in large numbers, beginning in the 1730.  There were numerous mills built to provide sawed wood, flour, textiles, paper, and gunpowder. 

The first church, Lower Saucon Church, was established in 1734 and was built by a German Reformed congregation on what is now Easton Road.  There were 10 schools in place in the township even before the legislature of Pennsylvania adopted the public school system in 1834. 

On a deed, dated January 25, 1783, Benedict and Anna Mariah Lutz granted to Anthony Lerch, George Henry Ohnangst, George Lawbach and Edward Shimer, a certain lot of ground, containing about an acre, situated in Lower Saucon Township, for the use of a school. It is believed that this document was prepared prior to the Revolutionary War, in 1768.
fence pillar at the school
These residents of this rural farming community demonstrated a strong commitment to education by deeding this property for the sole use of providing a school for their children and the many generations of children to come. One-room schoolhouses in the 18th and 19th centuries served as a homes, meeting places, churches and schools.A schoolhouse existed on the property in 1768, that being the year Benedict Lutz deeded it to the Trustees
school before restoration
There is documentation that a second school house was built in 1826. The Lutz-Franklin Schoolhouse that exists today displays a marker indicating the year 1880. The schoolhouse may have received an addition or was entirely rebuilt that year.

rebuilt 1890 stone

A schoolhouse was in use on this property from the 1768 to 1958. That long span of years makes this site a significant part of Hellertown and Lower Saucon Township history.
school porch
The schoolhouse is a good example of early educational architecture in the United States. The porch and cupola appear to be later Victorian additions. It is a stone 32-foot by 38 foot, one and a half story building with a basement.
school belltower

 

Ashlar stone

The stone is coursed rubble done in the ashlar masonary style. The stone, was obtained from local riverbeds. The pattern of the stones is indicative of fine artisan work.

Information and a portrait of Samuel Lutz, the great-great grandson of the immigrant Johann Michael Lutz can be found at this web link. The page is part of a website which covers the history of Franklin and Pickaway Counties in Ohio. For information on that, have a look at the web site.
stereoscopeoil lanternwooden shovelcrock

There is a large collection of artifacts from the Lutz-Franklin school collected by the Lower Saucon Township Historical Society. Desks, quill pens, books, early maps of the United States, photographs and many more items have been cataloged. The schoolhouse and its property are owned and maintained through a partnership between Lower Saucon Township and the Lower Saucon Historical Society.
flour and feed storeold school books
Wohlback boys and friends on wagon
The Wolhbach farm at harvest time October 1955. Shown are David, Leon and Dennis Wohlbach and Bobby and Tommy Stout.

email Email us at Lutzfran@lutzfranklin.com or LShistorical@yahoo.com

Mission Statement
The Lower Saucon Township Historical Society seeks to preserve and maintain the Lutz-Franklin Schoolhouse as an example of 19th century Pennsylvania architecture, to utilize it as a place of public education, to acquire, conserve and archive artifacts, manuscripts, photographs, recordings and ephemera relevant to the history of Lower Saucon Township and to make them available for research, study and education.

Web Design by L.Ray

© 2004-2013 LSTHS

How to get to Lutz Franklin School:
mapDirections


How to get to Seidersville Hall:
Our monthly meetings
are held the 2nd Wednesday each month at 7:00pm at Seidersville Hall located at the Lower Saucon Township Municipal Complex at 3700 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bethlehem, PA. To get there:

FROM THE NORTH

From Route 22 take PA 378 South towards Bethlehem. After crossing the Hill-to-Hill bridge, with its steel superstructure, continue south on Route 378 up the mile-long hill to the top. After crossing the top of the hill and starting down the hill about 1 block, bear to the right onto the two-lane road (Old Philadelphia Pike) and continue past the stop intersection for about two city blocks to Town Hall on the right.

FROM THE SOUTH From Route 309, turn onto Route 378 North and continue northward for about three miles. After you pass under the I-78 overpass, turn left at the traffic signal on to Black River Road. At the stop sign turn right onto Old Philadelphia Pike. Continue northbound for about two city blocks to Town Hall on the left.
FROM I-78 Interstate 78 West to Hellertown/Bethlehem Exit 67. Follow Route 412 South, which becomes Main Street in Hellertown. Turn right at traffic light at Water Street, which becomes Friedensville Road after crossing Saucon Creek. Follow Friedensville Road to Hickory Hill Road. Continue straight ahead to Route 378. Continue through the traffic signal to the stop sign at Old Philadelphia Pike. Turn left and continue downhill on Old Philadelphia Pike for about two city blocks to Town Hall on the right.



 
Classmates
Calendar
Membership
Restoration
Update
History
Links
Home
Gift Shop
Education Visits